Professor & Chairman of Geography
In order to lessen the pressure at the main campus Dharwad the P.G.Centre at Belgaum considering its cultural, commercial, industrial and educational background, this P.G.Centre came in to existence in June 1982 as an offshoot of the Karnatak University Dharwad. With the introduction of Geography in many colleges there was a growing demand for post-Graduate Studies and Research in Geography. Dr.D.M.Nanjunndappa, former Vice Chancellor of the Karnatak University Dharwad was instrumental in starting a post –Graduate studies in Geography at Belgaum in 1982, The Department of studies in Geography was initially attached to the Department of Geography of the Rani Pravathi Devi College Belgaum as it had well equipped laboratories as well as qualified staff, later it was shifted to Karnatak University, Kittur Rani Channamma Post –Graduate centre Belgaum. The P.G.Centre of the Karnatak University Belgaum after 28 years of its inception has become the independent University got status as Rani Channamma University Belagavi and Dr.B.R.Ananthan took charge as the first Vice-Chancellor of the new University.
Vision of the Department of Geography is to understand physico-Cultural forms, processes and structures in different complex environmental systems on the surface of the mysterious mother earth and thereby empowering and enriching students with skills in decision making and planning for human welfare.
III. Goals & Objectives of the Department:
1. To train the persons in the discipline for dissemination of knowledge to the society and to be self reliant.
2. To promote the study and Research activities in different branches of Geography.
3. To bring the geographical awareness among the masses for application of this Knowledge to sort out their day to day problems.
4. To educate the members of the geographical association for proper use, re-use conservation and preservation of natural and human recourses with sustainable approach.
5. To develop the strong co-ordination among the different branches of the discipline to have better interaction with other disciplines.
6. To arrange the seminars, workshops, training programmers, etc for college teachers and Members of the geography association from the different sectors of economy.
7. To conduct the personality development programmes for the students on regular basis.
8. To Organize the professional tours for the M.Sc students every year.
A candidate should have passed B.A/B.Sc degree in Geography as one of the optional Subject at least 45% of marks in Geography as well as in B.A/B.Sc as aggregate marks.
Relaxation in respect of SC/St etc. will be followed as per prevailing rules of the University.
V. Intake Capacity:
The total intake of students for M.Sc Geography is 20seats under normal category and 5 seats under enhanced fees or as directed by the university.
VI. Medium of Instruction: The medium instruction shall be English.
A minimum of 75% of attendance in each semester is necessary. Shortage of Attendance will be dealt with as per the University rules.
VIII.Academic Programmes offered :
1) Two years M.Sc Course ( i.e four semesters).
2) M.phil and Ph.D programmes in Geography.
The Department of Geography offers M.Sc degree in Geography. It is two years degree programme. The entire course consists of four semesters each semester comprising of four theory, each of (80+ 20)= 100 marks and two practical each of (80+20)= 100)) marks. Each semester is of four months duration.
X. Gold Medal and Rank Obtained by the Students:
In the Department of Geography students have begged Gold Medal in M.Sc
Examination in the following academic years.
XI. Faculty Members:
1)Permanent Teachers : Four
2. Dr .B.R. Bagade
3. Dr .M.B.Chalawadi
4. Sri Manjunatha.N.K.
Professor & Chairman
M.A , Ph.D
M.A ,M.Ed Ph.D
M.A , Ph.D
Agriculture, Urban, Population, Environmental, Regional Geography, Quantitative methods& GIS and Remote sensing.
Note: The faculty members list is not as per the seniority, it is yet to be decided by the Registrar, RCU.
XII. Best Practices:
1) Personality development programmes have been conducted for the students on a regular basis.
2) Organizing professional study tours for the students every year.
3) Inviting eminent Professors from the different Universities to give special Lecture for every semester/year
4) Students have been trained to identify a problem and prepare a dissertation on the basis of intensive filed work undertaken for the collection of primary and secondary data..
XIII. Area of Research:
- Agricultural Geography
- Population Geography
- Urban Geography
- Environmental Geography.
- Settelment Geography
XIV. Instrument /Infrastructure:
* Indian and Foreign Topographical maps. * Aerial Photographs (pairs).
* Pocket Stereoscopes * Mirror Stereoscope.
* Over Head Projector. * Slide Projector.
* Cartographic Instruments-Planimeter, Opsiometer, pantographs. * Wall maps.
* Survey Instruments-Plane Table, Dumpy level , * 3-D maps
* Prismatic compass , * 3-D Models