The Dept. of Studies and Research in Marathi was established in the year 1982 in the erstwhile Belgaum P.G. Centre of Karnatak University, Dharwad. Presently, the Department is one of the full-fledged Departments in the Rani Channamma University, Belagavi. The Department has five well-qualified teaching faculty members. The faculty members are proud to place on record that some of them are the recipients of various prestigious awards such as Gurukul Pratishthan award, Pune; Wangmaya Charcha Mandal Literary and Research Award; Shri. Ganesh Smruti Award, Machigad; Literary Contribution Award, Kadoli and Vruttapatra Shrusthi Gourav Award. The Department is well-equipped with library and Computer facilities.
To establish itself as an advanced and model Department for Comparative Research in the field of Kannada and Marathi language and literature. As well as expected to play a leadership role for learning, higher education and comparative research in North Karnataka, Goa & Maharashtra border providing the excellent opportunities for higher education to the students.
1. To teach various skills like Communication, Translation, Creative Writing, technology etc. to meet the challenges of modern multimedia world.
2. Develop competitive spirit & awareness of competitive exams for recruitment in Government as well as private sectors through various workshops & trainings.
3. Provide quality education for excellence, to develop entrepreneurial ability for the prosperity of the individual & country and also for the peace and happiness of the mankind.
4. Provide value education to produce well knowledgeable, sincere, good humanitarian students to the society through educational, Literary & Social activities.
5. To strengthen the research activities; specially comparative research for the growth of Marathi language and also for development of relations between Kannada & Marathi.